Sending an excerpt of your post instead of the entire article is a great way to encourage your subscribers to click through to your site. There are two places you can change the length of the content included in your mailings.
You can edit the length of the content in your campaign settings or in the template itself.
To edit the content length in your campaign settings.
Start from your list's dashboard.
1. Click on Settings > Edit Campaign.
2. Click the Edit Formatting to the right of the Post Formatting section.
3. On the next screen, you can enter the number of characters you'd like to use in the Maximum Entry Length field. A typical paragraph is approximately 300 characters.
4. On this screen you also have the option of changing the teaser text, this is the clickable link that encourages your subscribers to read the rest of your content on your site.
5. After making your changes, click the "Next Step: Campaign Summary" button.
6. Once on the Campaign Summary page, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Finish: Save this campaign."
To apply changes to your campaign you must finish the two-step process.
- Click Next Step: Campaign summary
- Click Finish: Save this campaign
Alternately you can edit the length of your content within the template itself.
To do this start from your list's dashboard.
1. Click Settings > Edit Template
2. Within the Visual Mail Editor (VME) select your RSS block. (This block contains a preview of your automated content.)
3. Select the Properties tab in the right-hand pane.
4. Select the Automatic Content tab to expand it.
5. Look for RSS Content and select Advanced Settings
6. Scroll slightly until you see Max Chars and enter the number of characters you would like included in your mailings.
7. Test your template.
8. Click Next: Use this template to apply your changes.
Whether or not you choose to use teaser text, you may want to consider using a button with a clear call to action to encourage your subscribers to click through to your site to read the rest of your content.
As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. You can find all of our great support resources and how to get in touch with us via email, chat, or phone on our Support Page.